Friday, March 2, 2012

Shoehorns = Satan

I have decided that shoehorns are evil.











Let me back up.

There are times during writing when you just HAVE to get a certain line/scene/character in your story, and you move things around to ensure that this does happen. While you may not know it, you are forcing this tidbit in, or shoehorning it in.

I'm guilty of this. I had this great scene set up, the dialogue worked, I was a happy clam. That is, until I realized that the dialogue and the scene didn't fit the rest of the book, some characters didn't seem like themselves, and the whole thing interrupted the flow of the story.

In short, I shoehorned the scene in.

I cut it out, preserving it in case it works for another story, but it might just go the wayside. If that happens, hey, it's okay. As long as the story and the characters aren't compromised, I'm happy.

So yes, shoehorning is evil, and it's difficult to look at your work and realize that you've done it, but what's more important: admitting fault and fixing your story, or maintaining that you are flawless and possibly ruining your overall work?



Yeah.








No comments:

Post a Comment